Is found in
- English programme for Health, Education and Welfare, programme stage 2
This is a single course unit.
Total study time: 81,00 hours
Possible deadlines for learning account: 15.03.2019 ()
Organisation of education
This course unit is marked out of 20 (rounded to an integer).
Re-sit exam: is possible.
It is not possible to enrol in this course unit under
- exam contract (to obtain a credit).
- exam contract (to obtain a degree).
Co-ordinator: Van Coppenolle Liesbeth
Other teaching staff: Bens Ann
Language course: No
Scheduled for: Semester 2
We can motivate why we included this course unit in the study program:
The speech-language pathologist or audiologist needs to build constructive relationships with clients and be empathic with the network of the client and with respect for diversity. In this course unit, student learn about cultural diversity and intercultural communication.
Within this course will also focus on how the profession and the the programm are organized abroad. The student makes a comparison of the profession or programm in Flanders with the profession or education in a country of their choice.
The course unit compromises the following parts:
Cross cultural perspectives concerning health
International dimension of the profession of speech therapist / audiologist
Communicating with foreign colleagues about the discipline
Profession in an international social context
Processing international sources regarding the discipline
Different ways of thinking and communicating
Communication and working with people from different cultures
Reflection on similarities and differences between their own culture and other cultures
Order of enrolment
There are no prerequisites for this course.
In The faculty teaching and examination regulations (FOER) one finds the agreements concerning sequencing for this course.
1. Participate actively, and as part of a team, in an interdisciplinary context to achieve common (care) objectives
2. Develop a view about the job profile and its evolution
3. Effectively and correctly use oral and written communication as a medium for speech therapy/audiological intervention
4. With due respect for diversity, develop a constructive working professional relationship with care recipients, colleagues and other professionals
5. Act in an ethically, deontologically and legally correct manner towards care recipients and colleagues
Organisation of education
Supervised independent work
In this course, international guest speakers and/or visits in an international context may be included.
Questions via e-mail
Use of the digital learning environment
Examination methods in case of periodic and non-periodic evaluation during the first examination period
Written examination (60% of the marks)
Paper and oral presentation (40% of the marks)
Examination methods in case of periodic and non-periodic evaluation during the second examination period
The same evaluation methods and percentage distrubution is used as in the first examination period.
Other study materials
The cost of mandatory written study material is estimated at about 5 euros.