Is found in
- English programme for Health, Education and Welfare, programme stage 3
This is a single course unit.
Total study time: 81,00 hours
Possible deadlines for learning account: 01.12.2018 ()
Organisation of education
This course unit is marked out of 20 (rounded to an integer).
Re-sit exam: is possible.
It is not possible to enrol in this course unit under
- exam contract (to obtain a credit).
- exam contract (to obtain a degree).
Special admission is required to enrol in this course unit under credit contract.
Co-ordinator: Van Coppenolle Liesbeth
Other teaching staff: Bens Ann
Language course: No
Scheduled for: Semester 1
We can motivate why we included this course unit in the study program.
In the work field, an audiologist comes in contact with comorbid disorders. Therefore, it is important that de student knows this comorbidity and learns to adapt his instructions to the target group. For example the aging of society brings a bigger need for knowledge about dementia.
In the work field, the audiologist is confronted with audiological questions. In this course, students lear to help each other in the clinical arguing, to solve problems concerning therapeutical intervention, scientific research,...
During group discussions, the students look up information. By consulting each other, they reflect on their own acts en the acts of others en by this they expand their own knowledge. In this course, there can be contacts with alumni and expertis in the work field.
Students with the diploma speech therapy of our University college who follow the short program for audiology, make a paper in this course that is connected with a topic the programm of their externship. This paper has to pe prepared, presented and defended.
The course unit comprises the following parts:
Hearing aid adjusment in people with dementia
Audiological assessment in people with dementia
Hearing aid adjusment in children with multiple disorders
CI-adjustment in children with multiple disorders
Topics concerning the bachelor thesis, own therapeutich acting, scientific research
Order of enrolment
There are no prerequisites for this course.
In The faculty teaching and examination regulations (FOER) one finds the agreements concerning sequencing for this course.
1. Achieve an efficient and effective speech therapy/audiological assessment tailored to the care recipient
2. Achieve a methodically sound and efficient speech therapy/audiological intervention tailored to the care recipient
3. Offer colleagues, other professionals and trainees constructive support in performing their professional activities
4. Participate actively, and as part of a team, in an interdisciplinary context to achieve common (care) objectives
5. Develop a view about the job profile and its evolution
6. Pro-actively initiate speech therapy/audiological screening, prevention, information and care education
7. Constantly update their own knowledge of speech therapy/audiological disorders, in various domains of the discipline, along with their assessment and treatment
8. Critically and continuously reflect on their own speech therapy/audiology-related actions
9. Act in an ethically, deontologically and legally correct manner towards care recipients and colleagues
Organisation of education
Case Based Learning
Questions via e-mail
Use of the eletronic learning platform
First examination period:
Written exam consisting of casuistry (60% of the grades)
Problem based assignment (40% of the grades)
Students who follow the short programm audiology after speech therapy:
Scientific paper (60% of the grades)
Oral presentation and defense (40% of the grades)
Examination methods in case of periodic evaluation during the second examination period:
An analogous evaluation is organized during the resits.
Other study materials
Documents on Chamilo
The cost of mandatory written study materiale is estimated at about 4 euros.
multiple disorders and complexe cases